So, I was at Wendy's today, buying myself a lovely (and cheap) Jr. Cheeseburger Deluxe, when I spotted a classmate of mine, in line as well, and it made me think of this story, which is at the same time utterly pointless, and only slightly amusing...
So, today during my Humanities Discussion Labs (the names they come up with for Labs are mighty amusing here at the University Not To Be Named), we were discussing (okay, so the name DOES fit...) the poets of the Romantic era (Byron, Keats, Shelley, Wordsworth, Coleridge, etc.), specifically Wordsworth and Coleridge. Sadly, that fact has little to do with the story...I just wanted to write down the names of some of my favorite poets....What!?...Was it THAT distracting??!!!...
Anyway, we have class in the campus' art building (or the Music, Art, Theater and Film building), and our specific classroom is used for drawing courses. Well, we were sitting at the very same tables that many a artist have sat at and drawn at, and we noticed that our sleeves and hands and notebooks were getting smudged up with graphite and charcoal. We all moaned a bit, and I decided to shout out "Artists!", you know, in a very sarcastic tone. I also slammed my fists on the table, if you were looking for a visual... What I failed to realize, however, was that no one got the irony of my comment. No one in that class knows I'm an artist, and so all was lost on them. This brings me to the guy sitting next to me, the same fellow I saw at Wendy's... He's a musician, or in other words, an artist (if we're speaking Grammy-wise), and I think he took offense to what I said. My gut tells me that he didn't, but my voracious appetite for good copy for my blog tells me that he did, and that I will forever be the subject of many a glare. He's a bit smug, if you want my honest opinion, even if he holds no ill will towards me. He's got that typical Music major attitude of "Oh my life is hard cause they demand so much from us." Oh, give me a break. Talk to any Mechanical or Electrical Engineering major and they'll have more than a few whoppers to tell you! Freak. I deal with my roommate's (and Mech. Engineering major) whining about his class load, and junk like that. I get it. Trust me. Music is cake.
Which brings me to another point....Oh, how I wish I lived with a Music major!!! Seriously, smug artist over smug wannabe engineer, ANYday!!!!! At least with a fellow artist in da house, we could act smug together, debating the validity of both films and albums, and sticking our noses up at anything and everything we find unsuitable for viewing or listening....Oh, to be smug!
So, there you have it folks. My thoughts for this Friday. Tune in next time when I discuss the validity of films that none of you will probably ever want to see, and then I'll talk endlessly about classical music and the various (specifically the Freudian) interpretations of Coleridge's opium-induced classic "Kublah Kahn"... It's sure to be a hoot....
ciao
parker
Friday, March 03, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment