Friday, July 18, 2008

The Dark Screen

Guess who just saw 9/10ths of The Dark Knight?

Yeah, I know... Talk about poor timing. I get up for a 3:10am showing of quite possibly the most anticipated film of the year, only to have the finale cut short by some sort of "power failure" on the part of the IMAX projector that so deliciously entertained me for about two hours. Not only did I have to sit in line for 2 and a half hours, outside, surrounded by drunks and stoners, but we then had to sit in the theatre and wait for the freakin' thing to start for an extra half an hour (at least, I think it was that long). Finally, the film began, and boy did it begin. Full IMAX glory, bank robbery scene. Seen it before, but it was a good refresher. Anyway, the movie rocked. Or, at least 9/10ths of it rocked. I'm pretty sure the last bit was awesome too, but I cannot judge until I see it. We got free tickets, of course, but no refund (the line to get one was super long). Honestly, two tickets would have sufficed.

Anyway, that's the short story. A lot more tomfoolery went down (drunken beach ball poppers, drunk screamers, someone lighting up a blunt while we waited for the movie to come back, etc.). All it all, save for the awesomeness of the film, it was a pretty reprehensible experience. Which sucks.

Oh well, right? Not really. I'm still a little pissed, and rightfully so, right?

Oh, update: I'm esteemed frère has just informed me that per his sources, there was at least a half an hour left. So, let's readjust our fractions: 9/10ths, which is, you know, not too much, has now become 4/5ths, which is, um, redonkulous? Yeah, that's it. Re-freakin'-donkulous.

Ugh. Ugh times 5, hours, of my life, practically wasted.
Ugh times 17, dollars, which is what I spent to see the darned thing on the IMAX screen.
Ugh a million times over.

I'm done here. No one spoil the end. I may see it today. Who knows. Still, I can really say wholeheartedly that this is the best superhero flick I've ever seen, bar none. Spider-man 2 ain't got nothin' on this sucka. Nor Iron Man. Nor X-Men 2. None of 'em. Not even close. See why I'm pissed?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Duuuude. That suuuucks!
I'm pulling for you to have a more pleasurable experience next time my friend.

Anonymous said...

I think the reason you are mad is because it took so long to find Spice World in widescreen. It's just one more injustice in the film world. This just topped the cake. I can't wait to see the movie!